Sep 6, 2013 - By Eric Blom, Staff WriterDubois-area residents should get used to seeing smoke. Officials expect the Burroughs Fire to burn for a while longer.
"As weather dries out and fuels conditions change later in the month, we'll see different smokes at different times up on this fire," Shoshone National Forest fire information officer Carl Jungck said. "The moisture has slowed down its growth, held it in check for awhile, but we will still definitely see some more smoke off of this fire later on in the month."
The forecast for Dubois lists a 30 percent chance of rain Friday, 40 percent for Saturday and 30 percent for Sunday before dropping to 0 percent for the next four days. There is a chance for thunderstorms at the end of next week as well.
Temperatures have been
unseasonably warm in the region this week.
The fire is still listed at 1,794 acres and 14 percent contained, the same figures as Wednesday and Thursday. Total personnel on the fire dropped to 96 Friday from 152 two days ago.
A Type III incident management team is overseeing the response to the blaze. Three Type II crews, two Type I crews, eight engines, and two Type III and one Type II helicopters are working to suppress it.
The fire was discovered on Aug. 30 but probably began Aug. 29 when lightning struck about 12 miles north of Dubois according to investigators.
The blaze is burning in a thick, timbered stand of standing dead and down trees along Burroughs Creek and on Ranger Ridge in the Upper Horse Creek Basin in the Shoshone National Forest.
Stopping and camping are prohibited in a large swath around the fire. U.S. Forest Service Road 510 remains closed.
Forest Service Roads 285 (Double Cabin Road) and 511 (Brent Creek Road) are open to traffic except for 6 a.m to 8 a.m. and 8 p.m to 10 p.m. to allow fire traffic and personnel to pass safely.
Firefighters continue to work on structure protection. The blaze is threatening four residences and 20 other buildings.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.