A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949
Jul 2, 2013 - Staff
Allen "Gene" Franklin, 86, of Riverton, died Saturday, June 29, at his home. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. ...
There is more! Read the rest of the story - subscribe today!
Allen "Gene" Franklin, 86, of Riverton, died Saturday, June 29, at his home. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 3, at Trinity Lutheran Church. Pastor Vernon Boehlke will officiate. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
Wally Hebah, 68, died Thursday, June 27, at his home surrounded by family and friends following a lengthy illness. Funeral services were at 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 2, at the Shoshone Episcopal Mission at Fort Washakie.
Gale L. Lange died Nov. 15, 2012, in El Paso, Texas. A memorial service will be at 11 a.m. Friday, July 5, at Mountain View Cemetery.
Tammy Milleson, 45, of Riverton, died Friday, June 28, at Casper Medical Center. Per her request, cremation has taken place. A rosary will be at 7 p.m. Friday, July 5, at Davis Funeral Home. Memorial services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 6, at St Margaret's Catholic Church. Father Demetrie Penascoza will officiate. Arrangements are under the direction of Davis Funeral Home.
1838 Rendezvous is July 3 to July 7 at the 1838 Rendezvous Site, East Monroe Avenue, Riverton. Visitors are welcome. The opening ceremony is July 3 and the closing ceremony is July 7. Camp activities will be held in between. This is a Riverton Rendezvous event.
National Bighorn Sheep Center 20th Anniversary is at 11 a.m. at the center, 907 W. Ramshorn St., Dubois. Lunch is at noon.
Eagle Spirit Dancers is at 7 p.m. at the Museum of the American West, 1445 Main St., Lander.
Powwow Dancers is at 7 p.m. at the 1838 Rendezvous Site, East Monroe Avenue, Riverton. For more information, call 856-0706.
119th Pioneer Days Fourth of July Parade is on Main Street in Lander. For more information, call 433-0662 or 332-3892.
Dubois July Fourth Celebrations begin at 11 a.m. at Dubois Town Park with Kiwanis Kids Games. The parade is at 1 p.m. on Ramshorn Street. Fireworks begin at dusk. For more information, all 455-2556.
Fourth of July Buffalo Barbecue is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lander City Park. The menu consists of buffalo bratwurst with sauerkraut or grilled onions, buffalo hamburgers, hot dogs, coleslaw, corn on the cob, chips, soda and water. Tickets are $7 in advance or $8 at the gate July 4. Tickets are available at the Lander Area Chamber of Commerce, 160 N. First St.
Paxton Cady Memorial Bullriding is at 6 p.m. at the Willow Creek Arena on Willow Creek Road, seven miles south of Lander. For more information, call 330-8639.
Never Sweat Chuck Wagon Dinner is at 7 p.m. across from the Welty General Store in Dubois. Tickets are available at the gate or by calling 690-9156.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A 38-year-old man was arrested on a Fremont County warrant at about 6:30 p.m. Friday in the 500 block of South First Street.
- A 26-year-old man was arrested for resisting and on a Fremont County warrant at about 7:40 p.m. Friday in the 500 block of South First Street.
- A 30-year-old woman was arrested for disturbing the peace at about 8 p.m. Friday at the Fremont County Alcohol Crisis Center.
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested on a Fremont County warrant at about 10:11 p.m. Friday in the 1300 block of East Monroe Avenue.
- A 58-year-old woman was arrested on two Riverton municipal warrants at about 11:30 p.m. Friday in the 200 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- A 30-year-old woman was arrested for possession of marijuana at about 1:10 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- A 48-year-old woman was arrested for public intoxication at about 3:45 p.m. Saturday in the 800 block of East Main Street. With her was a 38-year-old man who was arrested for public intoxication and resisting.
- A 21-year-old man was arrested for simple assault, resisting and intimidation at about 8:20 p.m. Saturday on the Rails to Trails bike path near East Pershing Avenue. With him was a 20-year-old man who was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol and simple assault.
- A 37-year-old woman was cited for shoplifting on Saturday.
- A 31-year-old woman was arrested for driving under the influence at about 3:45 a.m. Sunday in the 2100 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Two boys ages 13 and 14 were cited for shoplifting at about 9 p.m. Sunday at Walmart.
- A 12-year-old boy was cited for larceny at about 5:25 p.m. Monday in the Riverton area.
- Kenneth Shakespeare, 28, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication at about 9:50 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Travis C'Hair, 18, of St. Stephen's, was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and on two Fremont County warrants at about 11:50 p.m. Monday in the 2000 block of North Federal Boulevard.
- Lilly Washington, 43, of Lander, was arrested on a Riverton municipal warrant early Tuesday.
Names for weekend RPD arrests were unavailable as of press time Tuesday.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- A 17-year-old Riverton boy was arrested for domestic violence battery at about 3 a.m. Monday on Firethorn Lane north of Riverton. According to reports, the boy was fighting with his mother. His sister reportedly said he was trying to stab their mother and threatening to stab both women with a knife. The altercation reportedly began when the boy took a pillow that his mother was using.
- Tarah Lok, 29, of Lander, was arrested for driving under the influence and open container at about 3:40 p.m. Sunday in the 2900 block of Sinks Canyon Road above Lander. According to reports, she was in a gray Volkswagen Jetta "swerving all over the road." She reportedly hit a guard rail and continued swerving as she headed toward Lander.
- Donald Mlynek, 52, of Jackson, was arrested for breach of peace at about 5:45 p.m. Monday on Fir Road in Dubois. According to reports, his "soon-to-be-ex" wife has called to report that Mlynek told her he was going to shoot himself. He reportedly had several firearms on the property. When deputies arrived at the residence to check on his welfare, Mlynek reportedly discharged a firearm several times inside of the home. He eventually exited the home, and a deputy was able to deploy a Taser, then place Mlynek under arrest. Officials said the shots fired inside of the home did not exit the residence, and they confirmed that Mlynek was not shooting at anyone outside of the home. He was taken to the Fremont County Detention Center in Lander. No injuries were reported.
- Fremont County dispatchers recorded "harassing and numerous" calls from a Riverton area man beginning at about 12:45 p.m. Friday.
- A woman in the 100 block of Pushroot Court in Lander report seeing a 150-pound mountain lion outside of her apartment at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday. She said the animal was growling when she noticed it. She made the report at about 1:15 p.m. Saturday.
- A wallet was found at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday along the Loop Road two miles south of Fiddlers Lake. According to reports, the identification in the wallet belonged to Jonathan Petsch of Tennessee.
- A Pavillion woman called police at about 10 p.m. Sunday to report someone in the area was shooting off fireworks. She stated that one firework had hit her residence.
- A woman in the 100 block of Haymaker Road in Riverton reported at about 9:30 p.m. Monday that her cat had been shot after wandering onto a neighbor's property. She said her neighbors were shooting in the direction of her house. Officials said they were unable to confirm who shot the cat, and there was no evidence that anyone was shooting toward the woman's home.
- Penny Buffington with Fremont County Transportation told law enforcement at about 8:40 a.m. Monday that East Fork Road northeast of Dubois was impassable and washed out. Sheriff's officials confirmed the traffic hazard.
- During this timeframe, the Fremont County Emergency Dispatch Center took 251 calls for service including two involving a motor vehicle accident. County ambulances have been dispatched 54 times, and area fire departments responded to seven calls for help. Twenty-eight people were booked into the Fremont County Detention Center for charges including seven for driving under the influence, seven for other alcohol-related charges, one on a felony charge and 48 for misdemeanor charges. The center currently is responsible for 169 inmates including 150 at the facility, 12 in substance abuse treatment programs, three on home detention and four elsewhere.
The Wyoming State Engineer's Office report on stream flows, reservoir levels and canal diversions in the Wind River Basin as of Monday, July 1, are as listed in the first column. The readings for Sunday, June 30, are in the second column. Measurements are in cubic feet per second unless otherwise stated.
Wind River near Dubois 210 219
Dinwoody Creek above Lakes 572 553
Bull Lake Creek above Bull Lake -- --
Bull Lake Creek near Lenore 32 31
Wind River near Crowheart 2,180 2,130
Wind River near Kinnear 590 588
Wind River at Riverton 70 61
Little Popo Agie River near Lander 62 74
Little Wind River near Riverton 262 215
Fivemile Creek near Shoshoni 253 238
Wind River below Boysen Reservoir 1,340 1,340