Jun 28, 2013 The Associated Press

Wheatland shooter changes plea

CHEYENNE -- A Wheatland man accused of killing his three sons and brother and wounding his wife in 2011 has pleaded no contest to the charges.

Everett Conant III entered the new pleas Wednesday during a confidential hearing in Evanston, home of the Wyoming State Hospital.

The 37-year-old has been undergoing mental evaluations there.

Conant originally entered pleas of not guilty and "not guilty by reason of mental illness" in February 2012. The new pleas are the equivalent of guilty pleas.

It's not clear yet whether prosecutors will continue to seek the death penalty against him.

Court documents show that officials were forced in the months after the shooting to feed Conant intravenously to stop him from starving himself.

Fatal fall was into icy water

JACKSON -- A climber on Grand Teton died after he slipped and fell into icy-cold water.

Teton County Coroner Kiley Campbell says hypothermia may have caused Thursday's death of 55-year-old Gary Miller, of Colorado Springs, Colo. Miller had just climbed Grand Teton.

Miller was descending when he fell on a snowfield and slid into a 35-foot-deep crevasse. He was soaked by rushing cold water at the bottom.

Climbing guides worked to pull Miller out with a rope. They got Miller out of the crevasse just as a rescue helicopter arrived.

By that time Miller had been subjected to 35- to 40-degree water for at least an hour. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Two climbers have died in the Tetons this year.

Hikers found after four days

CODY -- A Virginia couple planning a day hike in northwestern Wyoming ended up spending four days in the backcountry after getting lost.

Frank Rose and Madilina Taylor, both in their 30s and from Lynchburg, were rescued Wednesday evening from the bank of Big Creek in Park County after ranchers spotted their emergency flare. They weren't injured and said they were too exhausted to cross the creek, which is running high and swift.

Deputies and search and rescue members crossed in four-wheel drive vehicles to reach them.

Park County sheriff's spokesman Lance Mathess says the couple set out Sunday to hike the Jim Mountain Trailhead. He said they didn't bring food, water or camping gear but did have some emergency gear. The rescue came after a large grizzly bear was spotted nearby.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...