A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949

In 5K event, I kept up with my walk partner -- my mom

Jun 23, 2013 - By Bruce Tippets, Sports Editor

Fast & Furriest.

That is the name of the 5k walk I did Saturday morning with my mother in Riverton.

That name is one of the reasons I have done the walk for the second year in a row.

I have never been a fast walker, but I have learned that it's probably a good idea to do at least one or two 5k walks in the summer to keep me motivated and far away from the hospital.

I picked up my training pace for the race a couple of weeks ago.

I started going about three miles on the treadmill instead of two miles.

I even would go to the gym before work at 6 a.m. to get it out of the way.

Sometimes, I would walk on my own after work for a two-a-day workout.

I have never ever exercised that much in my life since my high school days.

Last week I knew the pace had to even pick up more.

The plan of attack was to do a couple of practice walks on the course.

I did my first practice walk on Tuesday night.

It was a perfect night for the 3.1-mile walk. I listened to the Colorado Rockies to make the time go by even faster.

I finished the course in a little over an hour, which isn't bad for me. But there was still work to be done.

I went again on Thursday night. Of course, I made sure I went an hour before Game 7 of the NBA finals started. I made it home in plenty of time for the dramatic finish from the Miami Heat.

Another good night of walking.

I walked even farther on Friday morning, and I was prepared for the big walk on Saturday.

The three goals I had for the race were not be finish last, finish in an hour... and keep up with my mother.

I felt I was ready to accomplish all three of those goals Saturday morning.

When the race started, I felt a little winded after not even reaching a mile.

Then I got my pace going the rest of the way.

I was keeping up with my mother, and she was making sure we weren't last.

During the race, we talked about all kinds of things to make the time go fast.

We even talked to a lady from Dubois who came up for the race with her dog just so she could have a different walk path.

The hardest part of the stretch was the final mile.

Clouds were starting to come in. I didn't want to get wet during the race.

I picked up the pace. I was checking my watch every five minutes, making sure we would finish the race in an hour.

It didn't look like we were going to make it before the rain, so we started to walk even faster and faster.

It was getting windy. The weather wasn't looking pretty.

We were going down the stretch, and the rain started to come down as we made it into the Central Wyoming College parking lot. We crossed the finish line in an hour.

And we weren't last.

Then the downpour of rain started. I was relieved. My third 5k walk in my life is officially in the books. And my mom is the best walking partner a son could ask for. I'm already making plans on doing another 5k walk before the summer is finished. I have respect for people who love to either walk or run just for the fun of it. I'm starting to get there.

Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.

Related Stories

Related Tags

County Weather

Photo Gallery

Twitter Feed (Follow Us!)

Contact Us  © 2017 Riverton Ranger, Inc.