A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949

Owner removes smoking oven from home, saves structure

May 10, 2013 - By Katie Roenigk, Staff Writer

A house in Fort Washakie was saved Thursday evening after residents reportedly removed a smoking oven from the home's kitchen.

Fort Washakie fire chief Kevin Farris said no one was injured in the incident, which was reported just before 7 p.m. Thursday at 451 Trout Creek Road. He added that the appliance was destroyed.

"Better a stove than a house though," Farris said Friday, describing the home as an older wooden structure.

He said the homeowner was cooking Thursday evening and noticed that the stove was emitting smoke. The resident acted quickly and removed the oven from the home, Farris said.

"They drug it outside and saved their house from being destroyed," Farris said. "If they had waited until law enforcement and fire (fighters) got there they might have been too late."

Crews in three fire trucks responded to the scene, but Farris said the machine wasn't ablaze when they arrived.

"It was actually just smoking and just hot," he said. "We took apart the stove and found out how and where it started."

He said investigators isolated the source of the smoke to the top of the stovetop.

"It started ... on top of the oven inside of the mechanism," Farris said.

Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.

Related Stories

Related Tags

County Weather

Photo Gallery

Twitter Feed (Follow Us!)

Contact Us  © 2017 Riverton Ranger, Inc.