The way it was: Early museum work -- 1915Apr 21, 2013 From staff reports
Fremont County had been around long enough by 1915 that a group of history-minded citizens decided it was time to establish a county museum.
This photograph shows early work on the original log structure in Lander that housed the museum for more than 80 years. The work was celebrated with the help of a brass band that showed up to draw attention to the new venture.
Also of note in the picture is the huge American flag, 48 stars strong, which was described at the time as the largest flag ever flown in Fremont County to that point, measured unofficially at 11 feet tall and 21 feet wide.
The old log building was condemned and abandoned in the late 1990s but today is part of the new museum complex at 1443 Main, which opened in 2009.