No serious injuries in Pavillion fire

Apr 2, 2013 By Katie Roenigk, Staff Writer

No one was seriously injured in an Easter morning structure fire that damaged the roof of a home on Pavillion Road.

Fire officials said a wood stove in the house at 425 W. Pavillion Road overheated and caught the ceiling on fire at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

Fremont County Fire Protection District deputy chief Speed Hartbank said crews were able to contain the blaze to the home's attic area and roof.

"Nothing in the house really was (damaged) outside of smoke or water damage," Hartbank said Tuesday. "We had a pretty good save on it."

Regardless, he said the adults and children who live in the home stayed with neighbors Sunday evening.

Hartbank said the homeowner was trying to put out the flames with a garden hose when firefighters arrived, and the man sprained his ankle when he jumped off the roof.

Firefighters were on scene for more than two hours, having come from Kinnear, Pavillion, Midvale and Riverton.

"We had a pretty good show up there for Easter morning I thought," Hartbank said.


Riverton firefighters responded Friday afternoon to reports that a trailer had reignited after burning down about a month ago.

Riverton Volunteer Fire Department chief Mike Hutchinson said the owners of the trailer at 59 Gas Hills Road had arrived at the property to clean up the debris from the previous incident.

"They were cutting it up to have it hauled off," Hutchinson said. "They think that a spark from their saw reignited something and started it on fire again."

The flames got "fairly large," but Hutchinson said no one was injured and no additional property was damaged.

"The trailer was already pretty much collapsed on the ground," Hutchinson said. "It was basically a pile of rubble on the ground that was on fire."

He said firefighters were on scene for about an hour.

This blaze was not related to the first fire, Hutchinson added.

"It's a totally different cause," he said.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...