News of Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming, from the Ranger's award winning journalists.
Many choices for retirees
Mar 7, 2012 - By Carolyn B. Tyler, Staff Writer
I had a visit last week from a friend who has decided to retire and move from Wyoming. The friend chose Arkansas for a variety of reasons she was quick to explain.
That reminded me of a piece shared recently by another friend
- You can retire to Phoenix, Ariz., where...
1. You are willing to park three blocks away because you found shade.
2. You've experienced condensation on your backside from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
3. You can drive for four hours in one direction and never leave town.
4. You have more than 100 recipes for Mexican food.
5. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.
6. The four seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and are you kidding me?!
- Or you can retire to California where...
1. You make over $250,000 and you still can't afford to buy a house.
2. The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
3. You know how to eat an artichoke.
4. You drive your rented Mercedes to your neighborhood block party.
5. When someone asks you how far something is, you tell them how long it will take to get there rather than how many miles away it is.
6. The four seasons are: fire, flood, mud and drought.
- Or you can retire to New York City where...
1. You say "the city" and expect everyone to know you mean Manhattan.
2. You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.
3. You think Central Park is "nature."
4. You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.
5. You've worn out a car horn. (If you have a car).
6. You think eye contact is an act of aggression.
- Or you can retire to the Deep South where ...
1. You can rent a movie and buy bait in the same store.
2. "Y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is plural.
3. "He needed killin'" is a valid defense.
4. Everyone has two first names: Billy Bob, Jimmy Bob, Mary Ellen, Betty Jean, Mary Beth, etc.
5. Everything is either "in yonder," "over yonder" or "out yonder." It's important to know the difference, too.
- Or you can retire to Colorado where . . .
1. You carry your $3,000 mountain bike atop your $500 car.
2. You tell your husband to pick up Granola on his way home, so he stops at the day care center.
3. A pass does not involve a football or dating.
4. The top of your head is bald, but you still have a pony tail.
- Or finally, you can retire to Florida where...
1. You eat dinner at 3:15 in the afternoon.
2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars.
3. Everyone can recommend an excellent dermatologist.
4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state.
5. Cars in front of you often appear to be driven by headless people.
I respect my friend and her decision to retire to Arkansas. I will miss her.
But, as for me, I'm staying in Wyoming, just for days like this.