A family-owned daily newspaper serving Riverton, Lander and Fremont County, Wyoming since 1949

Murder suspect's arraignment postponed

Nov 18, 2012 - From staff reports

An arraignment hearing for second-degree murder suspect Dustin Nickelson of Riverton has been delayed.

The original hearing set for Nov. 8 was postponed because of a scheduling conflict for lawyers representing the 23-year-old suspect.

"His lawyers ... were unavailable that day," Fremont County deputy attorney Patrick LeBrun said Monday.

A new hearing has not yet been scheduled.

Nickelson is in custody on a $1 million bond. He has remained at the Fremont County Detention Center since Sept. 13, when he was arrested in connection with the shooting death of Lucas Myhre, 27, of Riverton. The shooting reportedly took place at about 9:30 p.m. in front of Nickelson's apartment at 811 E. Adams Ave.

Autopsy reports showed seven bullets had struck Myhre's body, causing 18 wounds to his head, arms, shoulder, back, thigh and body cavity. Nickelson reportedly told police at the scene that he had "fired on" Myhre eight times with his SAR .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol.

The autopsy also determined that Myhre was under the influence of methamphetamines at the time of his death.

Police said Myhre had intended to visit Nickelson's neighbor Sept. 13 but had knocked on Nickelson's door accidentally. Nickelson reportedly "pulled a gun on" Myhre at that point, and Myhre went next-door.

Nickelson reportedly followed soon afterward, knocking on the neighbor's door "loudly" and asking who Myhre was. Police said Nickelson was holding the gun at that point as well. Nickelson and Myhre reportedly exchanged words, and Myhre pushed Nickelson before others in the apartment intervened.

Nickelson reportedly left, and Myhre went outside to speak with three people who had been waiting for him in a vehicle. According to reports, he told the occupants of the vehicle about his encounter with Nickelson and asked if they wanted to see "a guy get beat up."

Myhre reportedly returned to Nickelson's apartment and apologized to Nickelson, then "called him on" to fight outside of the apartment. Myhre reportedly said he would take Nickelson's gun, and Nickelson said he did not want to go outside and fight. Officers said Myhre took a "step in an aggression act towards" Nickelson as Nickelson was standing inside of the apartment building. Nickelson reportedly removed the safety lock from his weapon and fired the gun. Officers said Myhre was lying face down on the sidewalk in front of the steps to Nickelson's apartment when they arrived at the scene. Responders tried for 10 minutes to resuscitate Myhre.

Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.

Related Stories

Related Tags

County Weather

Photo Gallery

Twitter Feed (Follow Us!)

Contact Us  © 2017 Riverton Ranger, Inc.