Nov 18, 2012 - From staff reportsChristmas tree permits are now available from the Shoshone National Forest.
The cost for a permit is $8 for a tree up to 20 feet tall. Additional permits are required for larger trees.
Permits are available at Shoshone National Forest offices in Cody, Dubois and Lander, which are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays). These permits are also available for purchase at the following locations:
- Wind River Gear and Pit Stop, Dubois
- Popo Agie One Stop, Lander
- All three Pit Stops in Riverton
Rules and regulations apply, so please follow the instructions that come with the permit.
The rules include:
- Trees may not be cut in any wilderness areas, marked timber sale areas or within 300 feet of campgrounds, lodges, summer homes, private land and ranger stations.
- The required tag(s) must be attached to the tree before it is transported.
- Off-road travel regulations are in effect. Check with a local ranger district for more information.
- When cutting a tree, stumps must be cut at 4 inches or less. It is important to keep all roadways clear of debris and slash.
- Boughs may be cut only from trees tagged with a permit.
- Take extra care while driving and with saws and axes, and be prepared for winter conditions. Check weather and road conditions before heading out to cut a tree.
For further information about cutting a Christmas tree on national forest lands, call or visit any Shoshone National Forest office.
The Shoshone National Forest, the country's first national forest, has 2.4 million acres of diverse terrain and a mission to sustain the health, diversity and productivity of the forest to meet the needs of present and future generations.
Get your copy of The Ranger online, every day! If you are a current print subscriber and want to also access dailyranger.com online (there is nothing more to purchase) including being able to download The Mining and Energy Edition, click here. Looking to start a new online subscription to dailyranger.com (even if it is for just one day)? Access our secure SSL encrypted server and start your subscription now by clicking here.