TodayJan 21, 2014 Staff
William S. (Bill) Hunt, 81, died Thursday, Jan. 9, at the Wyoming Medical Center in Casper following a massive stroke. A funeral mass was Wednesday, Jan. 15, in the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Lander.
Richard Johnson, 63, of Riverton, died Wednesday, Jan. 15, at his home. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24, at Davis Funeral Home.
Barbara Person Malischewski, 67, died Sunday, Jan. 12, at Lander Memorial Hospital after a lengthy illness. Cremation has taken place, and a memorial service will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 25, at Lander United Methodist Church.
Ronald J. Monroe Sr., 32, of Arapahoe, died Friday, Jan. 17, at his home. Services are pending.
John Smith, 56, formerly of Riverton, died Sunday, Jan. 19, in Sparks, Nev. Cremation has taken place.
Floyd J. Wicks, 86, of Riverton, died Saturday, Jan. 18, at Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Wind River in Riverton, surrounded by family. Per his request, cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25, at Davis Funeral Home.
"American Indian Comedy Slam: Goin Native No Reservations Needed" Screening is at 7 p.m. at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave.
"A Winter Gathering of Words," presented by the Westword Writers, is at 7 p.m. in the community room at the Riverton Branch Library, 1330 W. Park Ave.
In Riverton Police Department weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Eldon Antelope, 48, of Riverton, was arrested for public intoxication at about 3:30 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of East Jackson Avenue.
- William Topaum, 36, of Ethete, was arrested for assault and public intoxication at about 5:15 p.m. Friday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Toby Alonzo, 37, of Lander, was arrested for property destruction, leaving the scene of an accident and improper backing at about 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 300 block of West Madison Avenue. Officials said she drove a white Ford F150 into a gas meter in a nearby alley. She said she had been assaulted before the accident and was trying to leave the scene quickly; reports state she thought she had hit a trash can. More than $1,000 in damage was reported, and the gas company was called to the scene to ensure a leak didn't occur. Alonzo had a blood-alcohol content of .05 at the time, officials said.
- Jacob Michelson, 24, of Riverton, was arrested for driving under the influence and driving under suspension at about 1:20 a.m. Saturday in the 400 block of Pine Street.
- Shanel Williams, 21, of Arapahoe, was arrested for driving under the influence at about 1:45 a.m. Saturday on South Federal Boulevard.
- Franklin Oldman, 34, of Arapahoe, was arrested for probation revocation at about 4:10 a.m. Saturday in the 500 block of East Monroe Avenue.
- Stefanie BigMedicine, 31, of Ethete, was arrested on warrants for failure to appear at about 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the 800 block of East Main Street.
- Benjamin Piper, 48, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication at about 1:40 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of East Main Street. He was arrested again for public intoxication at about 6:50 p.m. Monday at the Center of Hope, 223 W. Adams Ave.
- Jason Dixon, 41, of Riverton, was arrested for domestic violence assault at about 11 p.m. Sunday in the 1300 block of South Federal Boulevard.
- Clowry Means, 47, of Arapahoe, was arrested for public intoxication at about 9:45 p.m. Monday at the Center of Hope, 223 W. Adams Ave.
In Fremont County Sheriff's Office weekend reports through Tuesday morning:
- Sara Gettelman, 22, of Dubois, was arrested for driving under the influence, open container and no insurance at about 9 a.m. Friday at the intersection of Horse Creek Road and Ramshorn Street in Dubois. According to initial reports, she nearly ran a county fire response vehicle off of the road.
- Leithaniel Peahrora, 23, of Fort Washakie, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation at about 10:50 a.m. Friday at the Fremont county Courthouse in riverton.
- A man from Lebanon, Tenn., was arrested on four counts related to sexual assault. Officials were unable to release information about the arrest pursuant to Wyoming Statute 6-2-319. The man also was arrested on a Fremont County warrant; his case originated through the Riverton Police Department.
- Julie Vogt, 43, of Dubois, was arrested on a Fremont County warrant for probation revocation and for contempt of court at about 11:30 a.m. Monday in the 600 block of Horse Creek Road north of Dubois.
- About $700 in welding equipment was reported stolen at about 12:20 p.m. Friday from a vehicle at the Wind River Hotel and Casino. The reporting party said the equipment was taken sometime overnight.
- No one was injured in a blaze that was reported at about 1:20 p.m. Friday from the Pushroot Apartments on Pushroot Court in Lander. Officials said the fire started after a stove burner was left on with a combustible object nearby. No one was home at the time, according to reports. The blaze reportedly caused extensive damage to the kitchen, and smoke and heat damage were observed throughout the apartment. Police said the main building was evacuated, though firefighters contained the blaze to one apartment. Officials were on scene for about an hour.
- A Honda generator was reported stolen from an enclosed trailer at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday on Brooks Lake Road north of Dubois. The incident took place before Jan. 15.
- Deputies assisted the Wind River Police Department with a traffic accident at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of Mission and Rendezvous roads. Reports state a vehicle went off of the roadway and through a fence into a field.
- A 26-year-old Rock Springs man was injured at about 3:40 p.m. Saturday near Atlantic City after he reportedly shot himself in the leg with a .40 caliber handgun. The accident reportedly happened while the man was on an outing with three other men. He said he was manipulating the semi-automatic handgun while sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle; the weapon reportedly discharged, and a round entered the man's right leg, apparently breaking his femur. His friends drove with him toward Lander but were intercepted by deputies and an ambulance. The man was taken to Lander Regional Hospital; reports indicate he was later airlifted to a facility outside of Wyoming. Officials didn't know his condition Tuesday morning.
- A juvenile was cited for possession of marijuana at about 4:50 p.m. Saturday on Motel Circle Drive in Dubois.
- A black leather wallet was reported lost at about 6 p.m. Sunday on Union Pass Road north of Dubois.
- A "Tinkerbell" wallet was found at about 11:50 a.m. Monday in the backseat of a vehicle in the Hudson area.
- Firefighters responded at about 3 a.m. Monday to reports that a tractor was on fire on Shetland Road near Pavillion. No one was injured, but fire officials said the machine was a total loss; the cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- A woman in the 2500 block of Cottonwood Drive in Riverton said there were bullet holes in her windows at about 2:15 p.m. Monday. Officials said a BB gun was involved in the incident.
- A burglary was reported at about 5:15 p.m. Monday in the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue. A resident there said she had returned home to find her animals loose with their cages open. She said cupboards were open as well, and her doors and windows had been kicked in.
- No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a house at about 7:45 p.m. Monday in the 100 block of Lost Wells Butte Drive. The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but fire officials said it is not suspicious in nature. The fire reportedly started in the living room of the home; half of the house was engulfed in flames by the time a crew of about 20 firefighters and 10 pieces of apparatus arrived on scene, according to reports. The residents were home but reportedly were able to get out of the house. A smaller crew and one truck returned to the property at about 4:45 a.m. Tuesday to extinguish a hot spot that had reportedly reignited.
- Deputies assisted with a chimney fire at about 10:30 p.m. Monday in the 5000 block of U.S. Highway 287 north of Lander. Lander rural fire officials said the couple living at the residence had just bought the home and thought the chimney had been cleaned recently. About six firefighters responded for about 15 minutes to make sure the fire hadn't spread.