The way it was: First milled uranium -- 1958Apr 2, 2017 From staff and wire reports
These two men were Fremont County's landmark pioneers in the uranium industry that transformed the local economy in the 1950s. Neil McNeice, left, and Lowell Morfeld were amateur prospectors from Riverton who spent thousands of hours patrolling remote areas of the Gas Hills, pointing their Geiger counters at sandstone and other rocks.
In September 1953, McNeice's counter went wild. Uranium, and lots of it, was there. McNeice and Morfeld founded Lucky Mc, which remains one of the legendary names in Wyoming mining half a century later.
Uranium boomed for 30 years, with Fremont County the national center for development of the mineral.
Key to the growth of the industry was capacity for milling the raw mineral into U308, the commercial commodity nicknamed "yellowcake." Lucky Mc built a mill on site, and by the spring of 1958 it took its first shipment for processing. The mill cranked up in March, and commercial fuel was shipped out beginning in April.