Bird to blame for power disruption

Sep 20, 2014 By Katie Roenigk and Alejandra Silva, Staff Writers

A bird caused a power outage that affected 715 Riverton customers overnight Sept. 14 to Sept. 15.

Rocky Mountain Power spokeswoman Margaret Oler said the outage began at about 7:10 p.m. Sept. 14, when a bird got into the equipment at an electrical substation on West Adams Avenue.

The outage affected a small central portion of the city toward the east side, Oler said, but in order to repair the outage, a crew shut down the power for an additional 633 customers for roughly seven minutes at4:30 a.m. Sept. 15.

"They had to take a larger group out to facilitate the repair work they had to do," Oler said.

All customers were in the vicinity of the substation and were primarily residential and commercial properties.

Power was restored by about 10:45 a.m. Sept. 15.


Officials said several alarms went off in the affected area while workers addressed the power outage. One call came in at about 4:30 a.m. Monday from the 200 block of Diamond Drive, where an 81-year-old woman's Lifeline Medical Alert equipment had been activated. Reports state the incident was a false alarm, and the woman did not want medical attention.

A stop light reportedly went out just before 8 a.m. Sept. 15 in the 100 block of North Fifth Street West. A man called police to report the problem, which was affecting traffic near Rendezvous Elementary School.

Another false alarm came in at about 10:35 a.m. Sept. 15 in the 500 block of North Broadway Avenue. Reports state the back and front motion detectors had been activated at The Smoke Shop, Tattoo and Piercing, 530 N. Broadway Ave.

Two minutes later, Proform Technologies High Quality Paintbrushes, 315 Railroad Ave., had a similar problem. Someone reportedly called police to say he was in the building trying to shut off the alarm.

At 11:20 a.m. Sept. 15, officers responded to a false alarm at the Department of Family Services, 120 N. Sixth St. East.

Print Story
Read The Ranger...